Exercise before Pregnancy
Regular exercise before pregnancy is important for maintaining a healthy lifestyle, physical fitness, a healthy body weight, promoting physiological well-being, building and maintaining healthy bone density, muscle strength, and joint mobility.
By being active and healthy you also assist in reducing surgical risks as well as suffering from fewer colds and illnesses due to a stronger immune system.
When preparing for pregnancy a key component to your healthy living plan is participating in regular exercise workouts. Our programs also include exercises to help physically prepare your body for pregnancy and beyond. By doing your pelvic floor exercises now you will help to reduce unwanted leakage when pregnant and during the postnatal period.
What Type of Exercise is Best?
There are a number of modes of exercising from running, swimming, walking, playing tennis, playing golf, riding a bike, weight training to hiking. It is best to choose a mode of exercise that you enjoy as this will keep you exercising.
Each mode of exercise has varying benefits with some having greater influences on muscle building, improving flexibility to improving your aerobic fitness.
Benefits of Exercise Before You Get Pregnant
• Boosts energy levels.
• Helps manage stress.
• Boosts immune system (not excessive exercise).
• Increases muscle strength.
• Reduces the risk of heart disease by improving blood circulation throughout the body.
• Assist in weight management.
• Improves blood cholesterol levels.
• Prevents and manages high blood pressure.
• Prevents bone loss.
• Releases tension.
• Prevents obesity.
• Improves skin’s appearance.
• Has social benefits.
• Helps prevent injury.
• Improves mobility.
• Improves the ability to fall asleep quickly and sleep well.
• Improves self-image.
• Counters anxiety and depression.
• Provides a way to share an activity with family and friends.